This workshop is intended to promote hands-on labs and case-studies in Information Assurance (IA) education to enhance student learning experience, and to foster collaboration among faculty in Information Assurance (IA) field. Application and registration is free. To apply for the workshop, please email your name, affiliation and application to Xiaohong Yuan (email@example.com), Li Yang (Li-Yang@utc.edu), and Bill Chu (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Targeted Participants: (a) full-time faculty at a U.S. university who are currently teaching Information Assurance (IA) related courses or have strong interests to teach IA courses and (b) have a strong interest to incorporate case-study and hands-on labs in their courses.
How to apply for:
Please submit/email the following as part of workshop application:
- Two-page statement including their interests in teaching Information Assurance, education background, research interests, courses taught, courses to be taught, and how they intend to incorporate workshop training results to their curriculum.
- Support letter from department chairs or heads indicating institutional commitment to support the incorporation of the workshop materials to their curriculum.
- Commitment to identify one or two courses to collect control data and report follow-up evaluation when they adopt our materials in their instruction.
- Commitment to participate in discussion and contribute to improve our workshops and the development of IA hands-on labs and case studies.
Deadline of application:
Please submit your application by January 6 (Friday), 2012.
Time: June 24-29, 2012
Location: University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, Chattanooga, TN
Desktop computers are available for computer labs. You are required either to bring a laptop or a USB based storage device with at least 25 GB for workshop materials. Wireless connection is available.
How to Get Here: Airport is CHA and address of the Sheraton Read House Hotel Chattanooga is 827 Broad Street
Chattanooga, Tennessee, 37402. The address of UT Chattanooga is 735 Vine Street, Chattanooga, TN.
Cost: Applicants will be awarded $2,000 to cover travel, lodging cost.
Workshop Agenda: http://teaching-ia.appspot.com/labs for more information.
- Security management: case studies on risk management, security policy, incident response planning, disaster recovery planning, physical security
- Cryptography: hands-on labs on modes of symmetric encryption and its implication, RSA attacks, hash function properties, key management.
- Network security: an animated learning tool for Kerberos authentication architecture, an animated simulation for packet sniffer, a visualization tool for wireless network attacks, interactive SYN Flood simulator, firewall simulation game, stack overflow visualization
- Web security: hands-on labs on web application vulnerability assessment, secure programming, static analysis
- Access control: hands-on labs and case studies on dictionary access control, role-based access control, mandatory access control, and database security.
This workshop provides an excellent opportunity to develop instructional excellence and to network with peers. Expected outcome of the workshop is to provide concrete case studies, and hands-on lab material, test questions, and evaluation rubrics that can be applied in teaching information assurance in computing related courses. Workshop will also focus on developing effective evaluation instruments that can lead to peer-reviewed publications in CS education conferences/journals.Flyer